- Public Works
- Street Department
- Leaf Removal Program
Leaf Removal Program
The City of Carthage Leaf Removal program starts in early November and runs through the end of December. The purpose of this program is to eliminate excess leaf build-up along city streets that can cause stormwater drains to clog. These efforts help prevent flooding and reduce negative impacts throughout the city. Leaves collected during this program are taken to the Recycling Center where they are recycled and turned into compost.
The Fall Leaf Collection Program Guidelines are as follows:
- The Crews follow a grid of the city, divided into 4 quadrants, and crews work through the city in a clockwork rotation. Crews typically make 3-4 rounds throughout the months of November and December.
- Place leaves in a narrow pile or row, in the grassy area between the sidewalk and the curb. If your area is without curbs, place leaves within five feet of the street. Please do not rake leaves into the street, also, do not rake leaves into drainage ditches and/or swales.
- Do not place leaves in cans or in plastic/paper bags. Only loose leaves will be collected.
- Keep parked vehicles 15 feet, in each direction, away from the pile to allow room for Street Crews to operate leaf collection equipment. Return trips will not be made to piles that are passed over due to vehicle obstruction.
- Leaf Collection areas are to be free of oil waste, chemical contaminants, tree limbs, cans, rocks, bricks, garbage, or any other foreign objects and substances.
If you have any questions, contact the Public Works Department at 417-237-7010 and speak with the Street Superintendent.
Residents may take leaves to the Recycling Center at any time of the year at no charge, however, the Recycling Center will not accept bagged leaves. If leaves are brought to the Center in bags, the bags must be emptied by the resident in the area designated by Recycling Center staff.